Thursday, January 30, 2014

How Time Flies...

WHEW! What a week! I can't believe it's been 8 days since my last post. I missed you all terribly. I've been missing a lot of things lately- sleeping in the same place for a good amount of time, home cooked meals, my family, my lovely roommate (Zachary). I do, however, LOVE the traveling. This is the first time in my life that I have been nomadic. When I think about it, I don't technically LIVE anywhere since my room in NYC is being subletted. It's kind of a weird and exhilarating feeling. I say this only three weeks in to tour but I truly think being on the move might be good for me- granted, I definitely miss having a kitchen to cook in seeing as how there are only so many times I can go to Taco Bell in one week... Or one day... 

Enough with sad things! My birthday is in 5 DAYS. Money orders will be accepted. Just kidding! That's pretty much all I wanted to say in this section.

Our first stop of the week after Missouri was Joliet, Illinois. I HAVE to talk about the theatre we performed in because the people there were so nice. The Midwest houses some of the friendliest people on this earth and I'm so glad we began our tour in this area of the US. We had a three-show day that day including a load in AND load out of the set (basically it was a LONG day). But it didn't even feel like it. They were so kind in helping us load in our set and they gave us lunch (Jimmy Johns for the win!) They also decided to theme the evening performance as a pajama party! Yes, everyone participated. Yes, I brought my stuffed elephant. Everyone in the audience was also in their pajamas. Haha fun! 

We have been traveling between Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Illinois this past week. We decided to visit Duluth, MN where we hit up a local restaurant that made homemade beer! Man, we are finding some great beer here in the Midwest. After we gorged ourselves on burgers and beer, we found ourselves at an antique store (which, if you know anything about me, I would buy the entire store if I could... Or a bunch of teacups). Alas, I found no teacups that I could realistically transport from hotel to hotel... HOWEVER, I DID find a reLly cute leather purse with a flower pattern imprinted on the outside. I will include a picture since I promised my mom that I would. The best part of it is that I got it for $19! It's in really great shape, too. Ahhhh vintage purchases. To round out the day, we popped in to a chocolate store (OF COURSE) and we picked up some delectable treats. I was craving cheesecake like crazy and of course this place had chocolate-covered frozen cheesecake! WHAT!? I would include a picture but....uh... I ate it before I even got a good look at it. 

Following these couple of days, we did a lot of traveling, I thought I had bed bugs for like a second (it turned out to be spider bites which were acquired at the theatre we worked at for the last two days, and we basically just ate all week. But today was momentous because I fulfilled one of my bucket list items. We went to the Mall of America in Minneapolis! It was actually pretty magical. A couple of us even rode the roller coasters. Best part was that there were NO lines because of the weather (tons of snow and low temps). We also had some time to go shopping a little... I mean... It's the MALL OF AMERICA. After that, we had a five-hour drive to our current location, Grand Rapids, MN. We are staying in this really cute, historical hotel called the Sawmill Inn which, yes, sounds totally hokey but actually is pretty cool. It's complete with an in-hotel restaurant and indoor swimming pool. Also by some stroke of luck, my cast and I were standing outside of our rooms trying to decide where to go for dinner when a pizza guy was looking to deliver two pizzas to "Larry in room 114". Well. "Larry in room 114" apparently didn't exist so the pizza guy returned to our rooms with pizzas in hand. He only charged us $15 for the $25-worth of pizza that was supposed to go to "Larry in room 114". So the 6 of us enjoyed discounted but AMAZING pizza and then went on to go swimming in the indoor pool and spend some time in the hottub. It's been a pretty solid day. 

As for tomorrow, it's another three-show day. But let's all take a moment to rejoice in the fact that on Sunday we only have one show AND we were promised that we would be out in time for the SUPER BOWL. Don't expect any live blogging on that day because I will probably be eating and drinking some beer. 

Til next time, folks. 
Laura

Up next... How to Make the Most of Your Hotel Room


The restaurant we ate it in Duluth that makes their own beer AND their own root beer!


The Mall of America!!



The wonderfully inexpensive and functional vintage purse I bought in Duluth! 


No comments:

Post a Comment