Monday, January 20, 2014

In the Home Stretch: A Tutorial About Touching Your Toes

Hi there! This is Laura, Laura's cast mate. But you can call me Lo. 
I spent many years as a dancer, and I've spent many years as a 'not dancer.' I know a whole lot of stretches. I'm going to share a few of my favorite-and most accessible-ones that I've thrown into my bag of tricks over the years.
Besides preventing injury and releasing those nasty toxic build ups, stretching also brings clarity of mind and emotions, which is extremely valuable to performers. I'm not talking about the hippie dippy stuff. It's very scientific. 
If I do a "drop down" (see picture 1) all that gook in my nasal passageways that gives me headaches when I wake up, starts breaking away and my sinuses are immensely grateful. Thanks gravity! 
Or if you take a look at my modified "Halasana pose" (picture two) you will find the kinks in your neck and lower back mutually grateful. I find this modified position more of a passive stretch, great for meditating, as opposed to the active stretch that touches your toes down to the floor. Can someone say intimidating, stupid head person in yoga class? Alas, I was never meant to look like a human pretzel/funnel cake because lord knows I've pulled a few muscles in my
 neck trying to do that stretch so I stay away from it. Although, I would never admit that to Miss Pretzel Funnel Cake. 
Another favorite for mind and body stretching is Picture 3, which has a very clinical title called the "arm against the wall stretch". This stretch is magic for performers, especially singers, because it reaches many muscles in the arms as well as the chest. For me, this stretch gets a pressure point that lives on the inside of my armpit that an ex-professor lovingly called the "cry spot". And yes, poking it hard can bring tears. But stretching it out feels oh so lovely. Don't push too hard in this one though; too much pressure is bad for the shoulders.
Just two more favs, and I will speed up with these two. 
A sitting squat (picture 4) is a must do for actors. It grounds you to the floor and opens up those tight feeling hips. And for you non-performers, let me tell you, after a long day of driving or sitting at your desk, doing this stretch will hurt so good, it will make you feel free like a bird afterwards. Make sure you reverse your arm/shoulder positions as well so both sides feel the same stretch. 
Last but NOT least: the tendon stretch (picture 5). This is great for women who adore high heels, or people who are planning on doing a bunch of jumping/dancing/running around. This stretch is deceptively simple. The key is to relaaaaaaaax. I was doing this stretch wrong for ages, but now it's one of my favorites. You will feel your Achilles pull taught and all those little muscles under your calf will sing (sometimes very loudly). Remember this stretch is not about the calf. The calf gets so much attention it should just shush for a while! Seriously, ladies in heels, after a long day, try this. If you have a history with sprained ankles and tendons, try this before active play. It will help! 
I hope you found this blurb useful! Please feel free to reach out with any questions/comments, especially if you'd like to know about modifications of these stretches!

xo,
Lo

Picture 1


Picture 2


Picture 3


Picture 4


Picture 5






No comments:

Post a Comment